Monday, December 10, 2012

Church by the Snowy Creek

Church by the Snowy Creek
Oil on panel - 6x8
This piece was inspired by the Ouachita National Forest and it's gorgeous telephone pole pines.  We drove 71 Hwy through Arkansas as we traveled to Louisiana.  Spotted throughout were all of these old buildings - untouched by time, looking as they must have decades ago.  I used a little artistic license to lay down the blanket of snow, and widened the creek a bit to reflect back the colors in the sky with a peaceful calm.  I have been using safflower oil to wash my brushes in, and sometimes to thin paint down for signing pieces.  It is very effective - and no fumes or harmful chemicals to inhale.  I will not ever go back to using turps again - just not worth the health risks.  I will use this painting as one of four for my Christmas cards this year - and yes, I am a little behind schedule.........so, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment