Friday, January 4, 2013

Frosty Morning - Day 3 of the 30 day challenge....

Frosty Morning
Oil on panel, 11x14
So, this is day 3 of the 30 day painting challenge - and so far, so good.  I find this commitment pushes me to make sure I have time for painting!  I already have the next week's worth of places picked out to paint.  The snow is melting, but there is a chance of some more in the next week.  I have again used the fastmatte white for painting.  I like the way I can build up the texture easily, but I do like a shine to my oils - so I am missing that.  I must get more supports and another white tube of paint today.  This scene is also close to home, and is really little more than a ravine.  The clearing skies were fun to capture.  I am thinking of trying a new color of blue.  I use a limited palette, and I have used ultramarine forever.......I am just wondering what else is out there.  Maybe something wonderful just begging to squeeze out on my palette.  I am definitely going to the art store today.....

2 comments:

  1. You're an amazing plein air painter..brave as well to go out there in the cold and snow to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan! I have learned to pick the warmest location possible - out of the wind, facing the sun - if I need the warmth, and I work fast! Sometimes I have painted the small ones from the front seat of my car (with the heater on!) In really bad weather, I have painted from inside my toasty warm house standing at a window. I like the colors I see from life so much better than what I get with photo reference, so I go it plein air - if at all possible :)

    ReplyDelete