Tuesday, January 22, 2013

High in the Tree

High in the Tree
Oil on panel, 12x6
This was the first painting of the cold day at KC Zoo.  I painted from the second level of this 2 story setting.  The Macaws were SO brilliant in color - and so beautiful!  The last time I was at the zoo - I really wanted to paint them, but I didn't have my paints.  This was a very cushy location for such a cold day - nice and warm inside - and very little zoo traffic since it was so cold out.  When I paint animals in plein air, I first sketch out the composition directly on my panel.  Next, I lay in the main colors quickly - while they are in the same positions.  If one moves, I find another in a similar position - or move to a different one completely.  There were four parrots in this exhibit, so it really was pretty easy to capture their poses and colors.  If none were cooperating, then I would work on the background.  You just have to be flexible and fast - and know if you don't capture it quickly - you may not another chance!  This is the 21st day of the 30 day painting challenge - and I am just loving the opportunity to branch out and paint new subject matter!  Super fun!

6 comments:

  1. turned out nicely, and I enjoyed the explanation of painting animals that don't know to hold their pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg! I am going to paint another grouping of the parrots today - using sketches and photo reference. It is SO fun to be able to use such strong colors on these birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for talking us through your thought process. It was a fun day. The Poplar Bear was more difficult than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Those animals just don't know when to stay still! It was a fun day - I would love to go paint there on a regular basis! I hope you post your paintings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was gonna say painting birds plein air! wow! and you captured the "flightiness" of the macaws with the lines. it's such a cheery painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Amy! It was fun - and challenging - to capture them. I really loved painting at the zoo! It surprised me - I thought it would be much more difficult!

    ReplyDelete