Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hot Tea and a Good Book

Hot Tea and a Good Book
Oil on panel, 8x10
Surprise!  This is my first interior painting ever!  Inspired by the artists on the 30 day painting challenge - I chose this setting in my living room for my subject matter.  I had SO much fun painting this!  I simply did not want to stop painting!  This is a table full of memories, my dad made the table out of his father's walnut, the lamp was a Christmas gift from my children years ago, the tea pot - a favorite find at a local antique shop, curtains from my parent's victorian home, and the teacup and saucer a gift from my sister-in-law's mother-in-law!  The book is on the beauty of impressionism, and the hot tea is my absolute favorite Teavana flavor - samurai chai mate!  This painting is total exploration - I have zero experience in this genre!  It was very satisfying to use the bold colors I rarely find in the landscape.  Could I have uncovered a new favorite painting style?  This is day 18 of the 30 day challenge......what will I paint next?

2 comments:

  1. " I simply did not want to stop painting!" --- I loved reading that in your description! I think it showed in your painting, too. To me tungsten light is a difficult thing to paint. I think you captured it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amy! I was so energized that I went around to all of my lamps - to see which one I would try tonight! As my first attempt - I have nothing to compare it to. I tried to put down the colors I saw - without any regard to what I knew the colors to be. Maybe this is what captured the light accurately......? I will be trying it again soon!

    ReplyDelete