Sunday, January 6, 2013

Stream in Winter

The Stream in Winter
oil on panel, 6x12
sold
Sticking close to home, this stream leads to an old railroad bridge.  I drive by it almost every day - and have always wanted to paint this location.  I chose this tall panel size to emphasize the turns of the water, and because I am almost out of surfaces to paint on!  I used my new Capri Blue by Maimeri - the colori grezzi del Mediterraneo -for this landscape.  I love the super creamy consistency, but found it hard to get the darker shades I can get with ultramarine.  The pigment is not as strong, and the color fades quickly when adding white or any color.  I did like the way I could pull the paint through the water, for reflections.  I suspect it would be very good for portrait work - as the paint is not even tacky on the second day, allowing a larger window of workable time.  I also tried the santorini white, but I could not build up texture at all with it and it seemed transparent upon application.  So, I had to go back to the fastmatte white for the snow, finishing with a palette knife.  I was hoping this white would tide me over for a while, but it looks like I will be heading to Utrecht's this week!  This is Day 5 of the painting challenge - and now I must get to taking down the Christmas decorations :)

No comments:

Post a Comment