Monday, February 25, 2013

Newest Work in Progress

New Work in Progress
Graphite on Bristol
Today I am posting a commission that is in progress.  This is one of my very favorite subjects to draw - mother and baby.  I absolutely love the photo reference - so sweet!  When I start the drawing process, I first sketch out the composition. When I am happy with this, I start with the eyes, followed by noses, and then the lips.  Once I have brought the facial features up to the same level of finish, I move outward from there.  As I work, I will dot back and forth from details, adding depth and shadow while trying to leave the lights.  Here, I have only begun the hair, lightly shading in where needed as a background for the work to follow.  The blanket is hardly begun - there is a lot left to add.  I still have overall polish to do on both faces, and neck - although the fingers are getting close.  I was thinking I would start with a painting today, but maybe I'll get back to work on this - it is calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment