Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Night Falls at Pisa

Night Falls at Pisa
Oil on panel, 14x11
The night falling and the pink sunlight illuminating these glorious buildings is what grabbed my attention.  With photo reference from a friend,  I mapped out the sketch of the main lines of the buildings.  Once the large areas of main color were down, I started to dot in with the many arches and windows.  I felt compelled to get the architecture right, although I started with "loose" in mind!  With most of the colors in place, I pulled down the reflections by lightly skimming the surface of the heavy dark paint below.  I would love to go paint this place on location!  This is 41 paintings in a row :)

2 comments:

  1. You are on a roll with these buildings. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teddy! I'm trying to paint the subject matter that I have the least experience with :)

    ReplyDelete