Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On the Lookout

On the Lookout
Oil on panel, 9x12
At about 8:30 tonight, I thought the day had come when I was not going to get a painting finished.  I was bone tired after a day full of grandchildren, running my kids to and from events after school, finishing with a parent's meeting at the the 9th grade center.  When I arrived home, all  wanted to do was collapse.  And I did....for 5 minutes.  I looked at the portrait I had started early in the day.  Ten minutes of painting, and hour away.  15 minutes back at it, 2 hours away - finally throwing in the towel by 2:30. When I returned to it, I gave it another look.  The "bones" were good, so much of the "thinking" work was done.  So, I put on my headphones, turned the ipod to very relaxing meditation music, and just started painting.  I even painted quite a bit of it upside down - to help me see the values without thinking about the specifics.  For, now, I am letting this rest.  I may very well go in tomorrow and make a few adjustments, but at this point - I am just happy to have it finished.  Just a few minutes under the wire........this is my 48th painting in a row.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! Excellent job, Tammie. I will share this with Bill. You even included the porch post and windows - everything looks great.

    I painted a closer view and wiped it off, so on this snow day I will paint it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teddy! I thought the surroundings enhanced the portrait - so I included the whole scene. I painted much of the background upside down - first time I have done that!

      Delete
  2. Posted this one to the SCV members...Jesse James was a member of Quantrill's Partisan Raiders dureing the War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. I am trying to do some figure work each week.

      Delete
  3. Bill says, Nice job. Thanks for putting the gun in the painting. So realistic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just can't have a holster without a gun! Tell Bill thanks for dressing for the day - he made a great model!

    ReplyDelete