Thursday, February 28, 2013

Snow on the Cedar

Snow on the Cedar
Oil on panel, 8x10
The beautiful snow is STILL blanketed over the countryside!  This must be some kind of record for Missouri.  The lane is still too high for me to get out to the road, so I am still snowed in and painting!  This giant cedar is out in the front yard and towers above the house.  To get an idea of how large it is, the "little" tree to the left is a mature Bradford Pear.  My uncle told me this past Christmas that he planted this cedar - and the one behind the house - many years ago.  All of our children have climbed way up into these trees while exploring.  Now, they are covered with snow as I've never seen them, making them the perfect subject for painting!  It is another overcast day, but today, there is a hint of pink at the horizon, and a little violet in the gray.  This painting is the 56th in the row - and another month of paintings completed :)

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed going through your blog and find you have a romantic eye which usually follows with a kind heart. Love this snow painting. The tree is majestic and I can feel the weight of the snow on those branches. WONDERFUL!
    I loved the story your uncle told and your children's connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! I have enjoyed pouring through your blog in the last few days, too! I am thinking of attempting your fracturing technique - on flamingoes - of all things! All this snow has me thinking of summer and painting at the zoo :) It should be fun to try something so different than my norm!

    ReplyDelete