Monday, February 25, 2013

Teakettle of Roses

Teakettle of Roses
Oil on Panel, 8x10
The snow is falling - 12-18 inches expected, and I am enjoying this extra painting time!  I worked on a commission most of the day, only starting this painting this evening.  I chose to paint small - only an 8x10 since I needed to finish it today (to keep up with "a painting a day").  Now that it is finished, I wish I had painted it in a larger size!  I have not yet painted a large painting from one of my smaller studies, but maybe this will prompt me to do so.  This cool little antique green glass lamp sheds an interesting light over the sideboard - fun to capture on the sideboard.  The teakettle was my Grandma Frank's, a small wedding photo, and the books are Monet and an antique Shakespeare.  I found the sideboard at a little shop in downtown Lee's Summit 25 years ago.  I had the painting finished, and then I decided to add the gold detail in the curtains.  I love the detail, and the painting just didn't seem complete without it.  This is the 53rd painting in a row!

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Your interior paintings tell such interesting stories and have a comfortable feel about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teddy! I really love painting them. It is like settling down with hot tea and a warm blanket, and then just letting the painting flow out. It is very much like it is when I'm drawing graphite portraits, so natural. I can't believe I never tried this before last month. Crazy.

      Delete
  2. This is really lovely with such a beautiful and romantic atmosphere. How can you do this in just one evening ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I am so inspired by these little corners in my home, I just start them, and don't stop until I get it done! I like to finish on the same day, and almost never put it off another day. Which sometimes means I paint into the wee hours! I just can't sleep with an unfinished painting on the easel. Sometimes, just the ideas of the paintings keep me up!

      Delete