Friday, March 8, 2013

Picking Winter Wildflowers

Picking Winter Wildflowers
Oil on panel, 12x9
Today started with taking my daughter's green cheek conure to the bird doctor, followed by some shopping.  After picking my youngest daughter up for more shopping (still looking for a dress for my son's wedding) - it was a very full day.  Not the sort of day you jump right into a portrait at a late hour.  I looked at some of the things I have lined up to paint, but this was still the one calling to me.  The cloudy, winter landscape is one of the hardest for me when it comes to colors.  Everything is so subdued.  The wildflowers had dried on the stems - making for some good winter interest.  My cousin had taken this picture for me to work from.  A good thing, too!  I couldn't get Michaela to pose in the dark in the back pasture with rain threatening!  And even if I could, it is pitch dark out tonight - absolutely no light to paint with.  I am going to let this one rest tonight.  I will look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.  This is my 64th painting in 64 days.  I wonder what I will feel like painting tomorrow............

20 comments:

  1. I love the juxtaposition of the formal dress and the woodsy scene. Makes you wonder how she ended up back there. Congratulations on 64! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat! Some scenes just beg to be painted, and this was one of them!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Cat Beringer's comments but wanted to add its a beautiful painting.
    Happy PPF, Annette.
    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette! This is my first PPF - and it is so much fun! I can't wait to see everyone's artwork!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, is a beautiful work and very well done, the atmosphere around the girl is very detailed, we can imagine a story behind it. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a gorgeous oil painting, Tammie. There is an air of mystery surrounding the beautifully dressed damsel in boots in a bog. I love your style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreamy painting! Very beautiful!! Love the romance of this piece!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do love all things romantic - and I think it must color all that I paint :)

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous! Love the color and depth and the air of mystery to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Susan! I did struggle with the colors on this one. I have this little voice inside me that just says, "Stop.....", and when I hear it - I lay down the brushes. I was not at all ready to leave this painting when I heard that voice this time, but I did. After such good comments, I am going to leave it alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful painting, intriguing character! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! My daughter is thrilled that she is so intriguing :) I am thinking of new ways to paint her!

      Delete
  9. I think you got the subtle colors right and the character is so intriguing. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful work tammie. this piece is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, there's definitely a story begging to be told in this painting, Tammie :)
    I love the wildflower detail, they're so dry and delicate looking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I actually used the edge of a credit card to paint the stems of those wildflowers, it made a crisper line than my brush did. I'm glad you like them :)

      Delete