Friday, March 15, 2013

Sundown in the Woods

Sundown in the Woods
Oil over acrylic on panel, 16x20
The mood on this piece is different than most of my work.  I wanted to capture that really vivid sunset color, and it is harder for me than I thought!  I ignored the voice in my head telling me to "gray down" & "calm down those colors, girl"!  So, here I am breaking "rules" and blazing a new trail for me.  I like the moody feel of this.  I may look at it in the morning light - and think I am crazy!  I underpainted most of this in acrylic, then came over that with oils.  I glazed in the hillside, cabin and background trees with my oils - they were not even in the underpainting.  The effect is just what I was after.  I could simply wipe away anything that didn't feel just right.  Oils very easily wipe off of the open acrylics I had used.  When using the Golden Opens, I must allow LOTS of drying time - because it takes them ages to dry if you don't add in a bit of regular acrylic to the mix.  I may just use this technique again, it seems to add to the depth to the landscape.  This is painting number 71 in 71 days :)

2 comments:

  1. hola Tammie, grandiosas obras me gusta tu estilo, llenas de color y naturaleza, interesante sitio te felicito, saludos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! This was a fun one to paint, kind of a fairy tale setting :)

    ReplyDelete