Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Tangle of Roots

A Tangle of Roots
Oil on panel, 8x10
George Owen Nature Park
While at the George Owen Nature Park judging an event, I walked the Butterfly Path to find this lovely landscape.  There is something so peaceful about the sprawling of roots from a tree at water's edge.  The creek is very low right now, exposing so much of the roots of this tree.  Most of the dirt has been washed away beneath it, and still it thrives.  The panel I used for this is heavily textured, lending itself well to a dense forest scene.  Sometimes I apply more texture with reckless abandon, and others I leave almost sparse of strokes.  Then, when faced with a composition, I simply choose what feels the most appropriate to me.  So much of art is intuitive.  I am posting early for me today as I have a sunset paint tonight at the Overland Park Arboretum.  This is the kick-off for the STEMS event - 2 weeks of painting at their venues.  Looking forward to what the gardens have to offer, as well as my old stomping grounds of downtown Overland Park.  This is painting number 135 in 135 days - and I always have to check yesterday's blog to see where I am at on the count!

1 comment:

  1. So very well done! I love the roots of the tree that goes into the water.. :)

    ReplyDelete