Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Nightfall at Traditions

Nightfall at Traditions
Oil on panel, 9x12
Old Town Overland Park
Tonight, three of us went out to old town Overland Park to paint a nocturne.  This spot was one of three we had narrowed down.  There is something magical about painting a nocturne.  When I started, there was still light in the sky.  I like to pick a spot where I can paint under a street light, and a white light is better than the yellow ones.  There was only one street light in line with the view I wanted, and this one was yellow.  It is a very windy night, so I had to secure my panel well to the easel.  By the time I had finished the painting, I could no longer tell the hue of my darks, only that they were dark.  Neither could I tell the true color of my lights, only that they were light.  I love the whole process of painting a nocturne - it is like a mystery!  I do not know what I have really painted until I bring it into the light!  This painting is a happy surprise!  I can hardly wait to go and paint another nocturne!  This painting makes 146 in 146 days.

19 comments:

  1. Tammie, this is gorgeous. I can't imagine being able to do that sort of painting. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. I've never painted a nocturne before. What a fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow so much depth to your beautiful painting. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and atmospheric, I love this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is truly lovely... the tone of your colours is simply lovely and I love the soft brush strokes at the front... fabulous work...xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful, what an intriguing way to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tammi, love the illumination in this!
    Congratulations on 146 in 146 days!! WOW!!!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's beautiful and really does look just like old town Overland Park! I used to live in Lawrence and would make pilgrimages to get my Penzey's Spices fix there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really beautiful. There is something so romantic about the word nocturne - it's used in music too. Always for deep and reflective pieces of music.

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is so great. I love our description of painting at night, never tried it, now you have inspired me to do so. Happy PPF xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure! Truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a fantascic painting and the light is beautiful. 146?? amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love that painting - the lighting is so interesting and the scene is just wonderful. Wow - that's a lot of paintings. HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a sweet mood you've created! I love the soft colors...thanks so much for sharing your work. Happy Paint Party Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe you painted this at night in the glow of only a street light! That's brilliant! What a great idea and how beautifully it turned out. Good on you for having done a painting a day for 146 days - that's pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. how lovely. gives a warm glow feeling after reading your words and seeing this beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, this is wonderful. I too love your use of light and color here. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete