Saturday, June 22, 2013

Michaela in Charcoal

Michaela in Charcoal
Tinted charcoal on mi-teintes paper, 12x9
The last couple of days I have been drawn to figure work again, wanting to try different mediums and surfaces.  I pulled out my tinted charcoals - which I have only used a hand full of times, and this creamy paper.  I selected the burnt embers color of charcoal - and started my work.  It has been so long since I have used charcoals - that I had forgotten the feel.  The way they scratch against the surface, resisting in some areas - it is so unlike my consistent graphites.  But like an old friend, they grew on me......I remembered how I liked them and how they were one of my first real mediums, when only in the second grade.  The idea of doing 30 figures in 30 days has kept popping into my mind.  I have thought of it before, but I have always drifted away from it.  Maybe it is time for me to give it some attention.  It is a sure way to hone those skills in a hurry.  This is my 169th painting in 169 days.  Where will tomorrow lead me?

2 comments:

  1. She is wonderful. This is a skill I just don't have. So i always admire it in others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really love doing portraits in graphite, so the charcoal is a new thing I am trying to master :)

      Delete