Sunday, June 2, 2013

Queen of the Vines

Queen of the Vines
Oil on panel, 9x12
Overland Park Arboretum
Clematis is known as the queen of the vines, largely due to the abundant and long bloom times.  This lovely purple beauty is climbing a trellis close to Monet's pond, at the Overland Park Arboretum. It gently called my name each day I worked in it's vicinity, and each time I chose a grander, larger landscape.  On one visit, I sketched this out on my panel with pastels.  On another, a general color block in.  At last, with another painting under my belt, I put on the finishing touches.  This clematis is so much larger than the little section I have painted.    My first attempt at painting a clematis, it is such a pleasure to capture the gorgeous and abundant bloom of this small wonder.  I am few paintings ahead for the week, and that gives me a little breathing room to accomplish all those tasks I have recently been ignoring.  Wow - this is my 150th painting in as many days.  I never thought I'd be able to keep up this pace!

2 comments:

  1. such beautiful art on your blog ...love this and the Michael one especially..happy ppf

    ReplyDelete