Monday, July 29, 2013

Sailboat in Egg Harbor

Sailboat in Egg Harbor
Oil on panel, 6x12
Door County, Wisconsin
On our first morning in Egg Harbor, the waters were very calm.  I walked all around the water's edge, looking for my painting location and composing the perfect shots to paint one day.  This turned out to be the only calm water of the week - and I'm so glad I took advantage of the time.  This sailboat is actually one of two I painted in a much broader view of the harbor on that first morning.  All week long, I wanted a chance at painting these beautiful boats.  Each session took me in another direction, so here - at last - I have started a little work on boats.  The early morning light was amazing, just perfect for capturing the light and shadow of a late July day.  I am playing here with reflections, and colors - to create with paint the joy I felt while painting in such a beautiful location.  I am so thankful to have discovered a whole network of plein air artists.  Painting this way is so much more rewarding than painting in the studio.  This is painting number 207 in as many days.

1 comment: