Monday, July 1, 2013

Tending the Flowers

Tending the Flowers
Oil on panel, 12x16
Old Missouri Town
I have wanted to paint this scene ever since I took the photo on a school field trip to Old Missouri Town.  This lovely woman was gently tending her flowers while the children ran from one building to the next.  This place is full of many vintage landscapes to paint.  I love the 1855 feel of the town, it is like stepping back in time for just a little while.  The morning light cast a warming glow as it burned through a bit of haze - a perfect light for this subject in her garden.  I meant to under paint this one in acrylics, but I only remembered once the panel was already half covered!  This was one of those days of starts and stops.  Three different times I had to leave this painting, only to return hours later.  Finally finishing up, this is my 179th painting in as many days.  It just gets harder and harder to get a painting done each day in the summer!  The kids are home, we have so many family and sports activities, and I am constantly searching for that tiny painting window - normally in tiny segments!  Oh how I hope this gets easier soon!

13 comments:

  1. This painting is exquisite!
    For me, you really captured how carefully she tends to her flowers.
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colors and style. Love this kind of painting so much and also the colors you used! HPPF Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a stunning piece of art. Well done
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammie, I would feel that the week was not complete if I didn't get to see the amazing art that you are producing as a plain air artist. Browsing your blog is like a trip to the Virginia Fine Arts Museum, where I've seen some famous artists' works. Beautiful style and spirit in each one. I love this lady tending her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is stunning!! I love popping in from PPF knowing I'm going to see another exquisite painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So peaceful and beautiful painting. Sometimes the painting wants to wait real time to birn. It was now and painting is ready. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful, I can smell the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful, what a fabulous talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is a great big WOW! Your painting is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the peaceful setting and the beautiful woman tending to her flowers! thank you so much for sharing your talent with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so beautiful - I want to walk right into that garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work. It's hard to believe that she is a modern day lady, your painting has such a wonderful vintage feel:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe that you painted this is a day. It is truly gorgeous. Stunning work, just beautiful. It is luminous and glowing. Love the flowers and your brush strokes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete