Monday, September 23, 2013

End of Day


End of Day
Augusta Shores, Missouri
Oil on panel, 8x10
I thought I had a couple of hours of sunlight left to capture this painting.  I soon realized that was not the case.  Being 3 1/2 hours further east in the central time zone, sunset arrives earlier than in western Missouri.  As the sun went down past the western hill, the highlights on these trees went out like a light.  It was not long after that the damp chill set in.  Rushing to finish this quickly, I could hardly see my colors clearly as I pulled in the last strokes.  It is rare to capture this lake so still, with such marvelous reflections - so I am thankful that I had the chance!  This is painting number 263 in 263 days, and Day 23 in Leslie Saeta's 30 Day Painting Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the whoas of plein air painting. We all have stories positive and negative of the experience. I love painting in my studio with snacks, a bathroom, and all my painting equipment at my finger tips.

    In spite of the difficulties you encountered your painting immediately caught my eye when looking at the thumbnail pictures on Leslie Saeta's blog.

    ReplyDelete