Friday, September 13, 2013

Through the Arches

Through the Arches
Oil on panel, 12x16
Brush Creek Art Walk
Today is the first day of the Brush Creek Art Walk.  Starting early, and painting until almost dark, I have only just arrived home.  This was my second paint of the day - in zone 3, west of the Benton Boulevard Bridge.  These arches drew me in as soon as I passed under them.  The sunlight was just starting to hit them, and the tall, beautiful trees hung over to frame the composition perfectly.  There is a bit of a glare on this photo - the darks are not showing well on the left side.  I will try to take another tomorrow in the daylight.  I have actually left quite a bit of my underpainting exposed at the lower edge - and I like it!  I think I may just leave it this way..........One thing I love about these plein air events is that I paint several paintings each day.  That means that I will now have a buffer in the event that I can't get to painting one day!  I LOVE being ahead!  It is SO much better than being behind!  This is painting number 253 in as many days, and Day 13 of the 30 day painting challenge.

7 comments:

  1. I love it Tammie! Especially the way the greens and blues of the grass move into the orangish red of your underpainting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Devyn! I know its a little crazy for me - but I liked the mood it created!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful painting! soft and nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! So airy and fresh - beautiful atmosphere! I like the underpainting showing, too - gives it a bit of autumn feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think the secret to a fresh painting is painting on location with a two hour limit! Can't overwork when I have a quick paint to get to!

      Delete