Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Autumn Creek

Autumn Creek
Oil on panel, 6x8
It is a scary thing to "drop" fallen leaves into perfectly glazed water.  It is a one-shot deal, if I mess it up I must scrape off that paint and start again with the water.  Which, by the way, never goes on as cleanly the second time.  I can't remember ever even trying this before, it is just not worth the risk of messing up the water.  Well, today was the day.  This is a small piece, the leaves were dropped all over the ground - and certainly in the water.  So, starting with the edges that wouldn't show as much......I started dropping in those leaves with my "almost a stick" brush.  Once the stroke is dropped, the cardinal rule is to NOT touch it again.   I am actually pleased with their appearance, they give the illusion of sitting on top of the water naturally.  Although I am letting this one rest for the day, I still think it needs some work.  Maybe a little diffusing of the middle background colors......and I need to vary the trunk widths more.  But, I am tightly booked the rest of the day - so I will tackle these items tomorrow.  I may even find more that I want to change!  This is my 285th painting in as many days.....not too far to the big 300!

1 comment:

  1. dear Tammy,
    I am looking at your gallary... I am very impressed! the paings are so different and the same time you have your own style
    Felicitations for the great work you've done, and go on!
    your's Nat

    ReplyDelete