Sunday, October 6, 2013

Autumn on Augusta Shores Lake

Autumn on Augusta Shores Lake
Oil on panel, 8x10
sold
As I record each day of this painting journey, I realize new truths from time to time.  I have always been a "happy" painter.  I can paint all day long when all is well in my world.  Since I have painted for so many days in a row, I do not want to break the habit - even when things are not so well in my world.  This past week, I spent much of it in the hospital with my dad, who suffered with stroke like symptoms.  With the dawning realization that things may never be the same, I looked to my drawing for soothing and relief.  I could not control what happened around me, but I could control my pencil..and the paper.....and the image emerging.  It was SO hard to pick up that pencil and paper the very first time - I did not want to do it.  I actually thought, "Who cares if I continue this?  I have better things to worry about."  But that's just it.  My worrying did not change a thing.  But, my drawing changed me.  It helped me relax, gave me a better perspective on what I was dealing with.  It gave me strength.  Gratefully, my dad is so much better, and he is completely himself again - though very tired and weak.  This is just a quick one today and my 276th painting in as many days.  I am looking forward to many good days ahead.

6 comments:

  1. what you say about painting is so true. My best paintings are done as a sort of catharsis when I have a lot of stress in my life. I can just pick up that brush and just paint it all out. Marvellous autumnal painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I am only just learning to channel the stress out through my art. In the past, I have simply stopped painting. Not this time, and oh how it helps! So glad I am "working" through it. Maybe I will find my best paintings during stress as well :)

      Delete
  2. beautiful post and art work. You are so talented Tammie and so inspiring as well. Thank you very much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is incredible! I could just keep scrolling down all day to look at your paintings and sketches :) I completely agree with how art can save us in those sad and desperate moments. It is like a beautiful friend, always helping us to feel refreshed no matter what is happening in the world. Glad your dad is better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wilme, for your kind words. You're right - art is just like a beautiful friend - supporting me and leaving me refreshed from the inside out. The perfect compliment to friends and family. Who, but another artist, could understand this?

      Delete