Saturday, October 12, 2013

October Afternoon

October Afternoon
Oil on panel, 6x6
I had this painting planned out in my head early this morning.  I got out my paints, had everything set up, but by the time I finished my workout - it was time to take my youngest daughter to work.  Right after, we attended the funeral of a family friend.  It was very sobering.  Beautiful, but sobering.  After busying myself with countless other activities, I looked again at my panel.  I didn't want to paint.  I no longer felt like it.  Life is so fragile, our days are truly numbered.......and again I looked toward my landscape.  I took out my paints, and started laying in the colors.  The light and shadow emerged as the autumn leaves developed.  Today was sad, but the truth remains - make the most of every moment, we are not guaranteed another.  Painting number 282 in as many days.

10 comments:

  1. So beautifully painted and your words expressed with such meaningfulness..yes life is precious, our days to be treasured and fully lived! I love the dreamy-softness of this painting..it somehow diffuses the rich color palette..and your brushstrokes are sublime, as each leaf hangs about as though it was made of feathers from the sky! gorgeous and poetic!
    Vitoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the beautiful words. They touch my heart :)

      Delete
  2. such a breathtaking scene-very soft. I love the shadowing of the trees -a true reminder that in one moment you have that reflection but in the next it changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda! Light and shadow certainly do change in a moment!

      Delete
  3. Love the flowing softness of your picture, just wonderful! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely painting. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful scene! I should take the kids for a walk in the woods.
    Yes, life is not granted us forever...
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What could be better than an autumn walk in the woods?

      Delete