Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Old Pump

The Old Pump
Oil on panel, 10x8
This old pump has been out in the pasture since the mid 1800's, and it still works.  It never freezes, no matter the temperature, it will always draw water from the old well.  I can remember pumping water out if this when I was little, splashing and playing in it with my brother - but only if the cows were out in another pasture!  There is a lot of palette knife work on this one - lots of thick, juicy strokes.  Since we have such a cold, overcast day, I have played a bit with the grays - pushing them warm and cool.  This painting makes 402 in 402 days.  I wonder if I'll be able to make it down the lane tomorrow, the snow is still to deep for my car!

1 comment:

  1. The pump is just fantastic, Tammie. I have an oil painting I did of a similar one. A real artist (as opposed to a would-be one like me) took me out to an old abandoned farm house and we drew the pump in several sketches. I came home and did the painting. I love the feeling of your painting. I am constantly amazed at your prowess.

    ReplyDelete