Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lilac Blooms

Lilac Blooms
Oil on panel, 6x6
What a beautiful day for a family dinner!  It has been so warm, the kids have been playing outside so much today!  I had less than an hour this morning to get a painting in between cooking and preparing for company, so I chose a small 6x6 panel - and chose my grandmother's lilacs as my subject! No, they are not yet blooming, but I am calling them into existence by the very act of painting them!  As with the rose I painted a couple of days ago, I started by painting the lightest lights and the darkest darks, and then placing the most intense color.  By mapping this out early, it keeps me on tract, and I don't get distracted with all the areas competing for my attention.  I like this approach!   Painting number 433 in 433 days!  It is supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow!  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love your way of intertwining the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love lilacs, they are probably my mom and I's favorite flowers and you captured them beautifully. I can almost smell them. I always love coming to your house when they're blooming because we drive by that house that has a row of them in front of their fence and you can smell them on the breeze as we drive by.

    ReplyDelete