Friday, May 30, 2014

Into the Sunken Garden

Into the Sunken Garden
Oil on panel, 16x12
Stems Plein Air Event

As soon as I walked into this back yard, the sunken garden was calling me.  I first did a detailed sketch with my pastel sticks.  With so much in the garden that I wanted to include, I needed to have it mapped out correctly before laying in the paint.  The peonies were down to their last few petals on sight, so I brought back the full bloom while I painted.  The columns, statue and birdbath added so much to this intimate garden space.  There are two beautiful iron chairs back towards the picket fence, and a little footbridge behind the peonies on the left.  It is truly a wonderful space to spend a warm afternoon - and the fresh, cold lemonade was icing on the cake!  Painting number 515 in 515 days.  I have a sunrise paint tomorrow at the Deanna Rose Farm - so I had better get to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment