Monday, May 26, 2014

Lilac in the Garden

Lilac in the Garden
Oil on panel, 14x11
Augusta Plein Air Festival
Some painting days just do not play out as planned.  I started this painting on the day of the Montelle Winery paint-out.  When only half blocked in, my location became very crowded - and the wind started blowing so much smoke my way.  All I could do was breathe into my jacket, hold my breath long enough to fold up my easel - and make a mad dash for fresh air!  I soon found out it was almost impossible.  I ended by setting up partially down the walking trail off the south side of the winery - with only 45 minutes left on a timed event.  I didn't even try to finish this, I simply moved on to a small 6x6 - turning it in just in the nick of time!  The wild, impressionistic strokes are clearly visible on this as I was frantically trying to get it blocked in!  My difficulty in breathing gave this a very dreamy feel - or is that the lack of oxygen look?  Once again, what the artist is feeling truly comes through in the paints.  Painting number 511 in 511 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment