Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Spring at Tammy's Pond

Spring at Tammy's Pond
Oil on panel, 14x11
sold
I absolutely love painting garden scenes!  I'm an avid gardener - and the paintings I can find among a beautiful landscape are endless.  All week long, I had wanted to paint a waterfall, but I simply didn't have the chance....until now!  I have taken extra time on this one, wanting to accurately portray the essence of this special place.  With such a complicated composition, drawing is key - so I sketched this one out in detail with a pastel stick directly on the panel.  I have started finishing the areas of my block in more thoroughly before moving to the next, and I am really liking this method.  It allows me to make sure each area is on the right path as I go, a more thoughtful way of painting.  The results portray my vision more quickly than when I blocked in all areas first, and then started working each area.  It just feels right, and so much of painting is just "expressing" yourself with the brush.  I have several photos of this beautiful garden......and I may just do a few more paintings in the future!  This painting makes 491 in 491 days - and I'll be painting all day tomorrow at the Penn Valley Plein Air Fest in Kansas City :)

No comments:

Post a Comment