Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sweet William on the Bank

Sweet William on the Bank
Oil on panel, 11x14
Augusta Plein Air Festival
sold
I think this may be my favorite painting of the week.  The day started slowly.  We had a delicious sunrise breakfast at Frisella Nursery, but I couldn't decide on a subject.  Next, we headed to Defiance, with thoughts of painting the beautiful old hillside church.....but we couldn't find the right composition.  We stopped by to pick up my cell phone (which I had left at the house) on our way to Klondike Park.  Still, nothing called my name.  After stopping by the Visitor's Center for a little snack - and an amazing chocolate palette, we headed west out of town on the Augusta bottoms road.  After a turn, I caught sight of a winding creek set back from the road.  We had to turn around to get back to it - but IT was calling my name!  The water was such an amazing red-brown-gold, with only tints of green - and it was a challenge to paint!  In fact, I painted the whole scene before I even started laying in the water!  Starting timidly, I put the first strokes down.  The color seemed so unnatural - but that was also what drew me to the landscape, so I painted them true to life.  My grandma always had this wild Sweet William growing in the yard and woods, it makes me think of her every time I see it.  I'm so glad I was led to this spot to paint!  What a wonderful painting day!  Painting number 487 in 487 days :)

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You are such a fantastic painter. Every time I visit your blog, I scroll back to see your daily paintings and I'm always amazed at how wonderful they are. I love seeing the brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work, and great that you have kept this up for so long, I am most impressed. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and serene. You captured it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something so dreamy and magical here! Beautiful!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful story of how you came to paint this amazing piece of art. I love that it reminds you of your grandmother.
    Very beautiful
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the magically serenity to this painting. Very beautiful Tammie.

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete