Sunday, June 15, 2014

Saint John Community Garden

Saint John Community Garden
Oil on panel, 14x11
Scarritt Renaissance Coffee Club Demo
Yesterday morning, I was invited to paint and speak to the Scaritt Renaissance Coffee Club, hosted by Becky Koop at the Saint John Community Garden.  Becky's shop,  Backdoor Pottery, adjoins this property.  Behind the swinging bench lies the vegetable garden, with beautiful flowers sprinkled throughout.  These wonderful daylilies were not quite to their peak yet, so using my artistic license - I have opened their abundant blooms!  A lovely, but windy morning, we started with a wonderful breakfast.  I spent time talking and answering questions, until I was prompted with, "you have about 20 minutes left to paint" - yikes!  So, I got busy and let the brush do the work - laying in the masses intuitively, without thought.  Within 30 minutes, I had all the important parts in - and the painting was a true representation of how I felt in that spot.  With just a few touch ups, and removing the grass and debris from the surface (due to the strong winds) - this is what remains.  A lovely memory in oil of a morning spent with the gracious members of the Scaritt Renaissance Coffee Club.  This painting makes 531 in 531 days - Happy Father's Day to all!  Now, I am off for a family gathering!

1 comment:

  1. wow I don't know how you manage to create such a masterpiece in such a short time Tammie, so wonderful. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete