Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Rainy Day in the City

Rainy Day in the City
Acrylic on paper, 14x20
Surprise!  An abstract acrylic cityscape for today's painting of the day!  Today at the Tri-County Art League, we had Jim Ryon in to instruct a brayer workshop with acrylic paint.  It was SUPER fun!  With a rubber brayer, I dropped on paint, mixing with the brayer right on the paper to achieve the desired color.  No pre-mixing, no palette even - we used a foam plate for the little bit of brush work at the end to delineate the buildings, cars and people.  When pulling the color down into the street reflections - I simply slid the 4inch brayer from side to side for squiggly areas.  To loosely place the figures, I used the edge of my rather large bristle brush to dot in "carrot" shapes - one of Jim's tips for figures!  Although we used large sheets of paper for the workshop, this can also be easily done on a masonite type of surface.  I can't wait to try this technique on some of my Kansas City reference photos!  I have always liked the wet street scenes, but have never even attempted them!  How fun and invigorating to try something new and completely out of my box!  This painting makes 561 in 561 days - what will I paint tomorrow?

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this! It looks like watercolor. What a great technique. I've been wondering what would happen if I used my brayer to paint, and now I see I should definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful painting, done with a brayer ! ? How cool is that. It really looks like a real and wet city scape. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tammie I am TOTALLY in love with this painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another technique for you, Tammie. It is beautiful and looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Your painting is just fabulous. It fills my eyes--which is the greatest compliment I can give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great results! Fluid, colourful, free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very effective! This is a beautiful art work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowowowow Tammie this is fabulous!!! I would have loved to been in this class. You did an excellent job.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love this technique! Gorgeous painting!

    ReplyDelete