Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sculpted Hydrangea & Rudbeckia

Sculpted Hydrangea & Rudbeckia
Acrylic over molding paste on wood panel, 11x14
Fish Creek, Wisconsin
Purchase Information
My third painting of the day from the Allen yard in Fish Creek, Wisconsin, is an acrylic over molding paste on panel.  I first sketched the composition out on the panel, while set up at my easel in front of these flowers.  I have a small container of molding paste which I carry on board my french easel, and this I laid down with my palette knife.  It was rather humid right by the harbor, so this took a little longer to dry than normal.  Avoiding the still wet paste, I blocked in the background with my Golden open acrylics, careful to add enough water and regular gel medium so the acrylics would actually dry.  If I add nothing to these open acrylics, they stay tacky almost forever!  Since I need them to dry for easy storage on the trip home - I must add water and gel medium. This one was dry by morning.  Truly, these are the acrylics to use in the field, because I never have to worry about the fast drying time.  After using regular acrylics for years en plein air - these are SO much easier.  When the background was in, the paste was dry enough to start layering in the color.  My final layer is the regular gel gloss, sealing the layers and adding the perfect finish.  Another wonderful painting day - and this one makes number 577 in 577 days.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats. on the 577 paintings. That's really awesome. I love your Hydrangea and Rudbeckia. Wonderful texture and color. Makes me smile.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing!

    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete