Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Basking in the Sun

Basking in the Sun
Oil on canvas, 5x7
Purchase Information
Another day, another beautiful cat to paint in oils!  I live in the country, and we always have an abundance of cats.  Some rescued, and a few kittens from our one female cat, they all make wonderful subjects for painting.  I never had cats growing up - only dogs.  I loved seeing them at my grandma's house, and my great-uncle's house in Adrian.  It was always such a treat to find the kitties in the barns and play with them!  Cats are always affectionate, without being rowdy and knocking the furniture over - like our big dogs!  For this beauty, I am painting thickly with oils.  It is a small surface, I paint smaller sizes on those busier days!  I have done so much work in the flower beds this week, that it is wearing me down - also another reason to paint small and fast.  There is something almost intuitive about painting these cats, like the brush almost paints itself. I just mix and load up the brush, and suddenly - all is finished.  Today, it feels SO good to be pulling the brush through the oils.  I just got a few new colors in from Gambin - I can't wait to try out on the next painting!  This one is number 590 in 590 days :)

3 comments:

  1. Very Nice, you are invited to share this Feline Art Friday:
    http://kittypartay.blogspot.com/2014/08/feline-art-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's gorgeous. What a beauty. I love how the brushstrokes really capture the texture of the fur.

    Purrs and wags from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up to Feline Art Friday, hope to see you back soon:
    http://kittypartay.blogspot.com/2014/08/feline-art-friday-10.html

    ReplyDelete