Monday, August 11, 2014

Charlie Cat

Charlie Cat - in progress
Charlie Cat
Oil on panel, 6x6
Purchase Information

Our Charlie is very regal and majestic in all of his movements.  With his long hair and wonderful coloring, he knows he is superior!  He has a very affectionate nature, second only to Wesson in his friendliness.  This is the second time I have painted him - and again in oils.  With that thick, long hair - I need a paint with body, that will hold the brushstrokes well.  I first sketched him out with a pastel stick, and painted his eye completely!  I so often do this with portraits, feeling as if I must catch the soul in the eye before I can continue to the rest!  As you can see by the "in progress" photo, I started with an orange underpainting - for no other reason except this is what I had, and this was the size I wanted to paint!  Laying down those oils with heavy strokes, I worked in the fur - pulling the whiskers last.  Adding some of the background color in small strokes on his coat, I marry the background to the foreground.  With a final highlight on the eye - je suis fini!  My regal cat is the 588th painting in as many days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment