Friday, August 8, 2014

Sunlit Hollyhocks

Sunlit Hollyhocks
Watercolor, 6x9
Purchase Information
On this painting, I am really working to give dimension to the petals of the hollyhocks.  Wanting to define them loosely, I still want to bring out the light and shadow.  I have not been sketching out my compositions in watercolor.  When I start with the Pebeo drawing gum, I mark off the highlights with this, allowing it to dry.  I then go in with my darkest darks, and next the other colors, before rubbing off the resist.  When I use this method, I paint two at once.  This way, I don't lose any time in waiting.  While I wait for the Pebeo to dry, I go to the next one and apply the drawing gum.  While that one dries, I am underpainting the first one.  And then, while the first paints dry, I underpaint the second.  Rubbing off the gum of the first, I then go in with the final watercolors on the same piece.  Next, I move to the second, and rub off the gum and finish the painting.  At the end of this process, I look over both, to see if there is anything else I want to add, or remove with a stiff brush, a little water and a paper towel.  If that little voice in my head tells me, "I'm done", then I stop.  I always listen to this voice, even if I don't want to!  Painting number 585 in 585 days.

4 comments:

  1. So beautiful, it includes much work and insict too. Your works are so delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are glorious, you have captured a summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful colours! I love it!

    ReplyDelete