Saturday, September 20, 2014

Creek at Femme Osage

Creek at Femme Osage
Oil on panel, 10x8
Femme Osage, Missouri - purchase here
On location
Pulling into town, this was the very first location that we got out to scout. Loved the light, loved the reflections - why go anywhere else?  Normally, when we get to town, we go to multiple locations, taking photos, and end up wasting good painting time just making sure we pick the perfect spot.  For the first time ever, we pulled in, looked, and immediately set up our easels!  On this warm, sunny day, the colors of the landscape were just remarkable!  Loving the way the sun spread across the grasses, this was the first thing I blocked in. Moving next to the water and sky colors - I brushed in the cool blues, and then the distant trees.  I started working forward with my paints, until the block in was complete to the foreground.  I then turned my attention to the edges of grass and foliage.  Using my palette knife, I dragged paint from the edges in - leaving the desired mark in my wake.  I like where this painting took me, and it is a treasured spot to paint in!  There is nothing like the babble of the water, the singing of crickets and birds and a warm breeze in the shade of tree to paint by!  Plein air perfection here in Femme Osage, Missouri!  Hoping for more of this tomorrow with my 629th painting in as many days, and Day 19 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this painting! Can't believe you've done a painting a day for 629 days! This 30 in 30 is just about doing me in. Can't seem to accomplish anything else. How do you do it??? :)

    ReplyDelete