Monday, September 15, 2014

Orange Cat

Orange Cat
Oil on panel, 12x6
sold
After the seven landscapes of the weekend, I am switching gears today and painting this little darling.  Not one of our cats, I came across the reference photo while looking through pics of Defiance, Missouri.  Taken on the back porch of the Robin's Nest, "Harley" was stretched out like a king with the sun at his back.  After laying in the paint with my brushes, I next went to my palette knife.  I think this is the first time I have used a knife on an animal portrait.  I wanted thick, juicy paint for this darling - and what better way to get that than the palette knife?  I can skim new paint over the previous layer without disturbing what is below it.  It feels good to get away from architecture - even though I enjoy it.  The soft, furry lines of the cat are welcome relief indeed!  This painting makes 624 in as many days and Day 14 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Pallet knife and all, Tammie ... you certainly are talented. I think you have captured even the thoughts of this beautiful orange cat.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete