Monday, September 29, 2014

Sunflower Medley

Sunflower Medley
Oil on panel, 14x11
Sunflower Artfest - 2nd Place "Sunflower" Division
I had decided a couple of weeks ago to do enter this "Sunflower" competition.  I had the Brush Creek Art Walk going on, and the the Augusta Harvest Festival, as well as several other showings, openings and receptions to go to.  I had been painting sunflowers, but only two I thought were worthy of entering - and one of those I felt was "iffy"!  Arising at 4:00am on the morning of the event, I had set a small watercolor aside to frame, since I didn't get back to the easel the previous night (after Michael's late baseball game).  Well, I couldn't find the glass for the frame!  In the time it would take me to find glass in another frame to switch out - I could have a painting done.  So, I started this painting with an hour to paint.  I had already planned it in my head, and had sketched it with pastels the night before - so all I had to do was apply the paint.  There is nothing like a time limit to quicken your decisions!  Using a large brush for almost the whole thing, I switched to a palette knife at the end to finish.  The underpainting was thick enough that I had to use the knife to place the highlights - the brush only worked the color in without the desired "punch".  Wishing I could continue - my time was up and I slapped it in a frame and bolted.  I was SO surprised to win 2nd place on this painting in the "sunflower" division!  There is something to be said for working loose and fast.  Painting number 638 in as many days and Day 28 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment