Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sunflowers at Night

Sunflowers at Night
Ink, watercolor, wax on rice paper, 10.5x7
Today, I am playing with the watercolor batik technique, using hot wax as a resist between layers.  I have first used pen and ink to define the lines loosely.  The crinkly texture of this thin rice paper after the ironing off of the hot wax is so cool!  Each piece makes a completely unique pattern.  I am really trying to study the method here, pushing the various mediums in different ways.  I first used an indian red in the cracks of the wax, and then went to a sepia.  After the last step, I then went back over the high spots only with an almost dry brush and sepia ink.  There are many layers, and I simply added another layer when I thought some tweaking of color was required.  Experimenting like this just brings so many images into my mind - like a hundred paintings just waiting their turn at the easel!  So many paintings, never enough time!  Painting number 634 of 634, and Day 24 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment