Monday, September 1, 2014

Sunset Sailing

Sunset Sailing
Watercolor on paper, 6x9
sold
I have been thinking of other surfaces to use for my watercolors.  Doing a little research has turned up clayboard texture, yupo, watercolor canvas (which does not appeal to me at all since I don't like the canvas weave), and using absorbent grounds on all kinds of surfaces.  Of all of these, I think I am going to pick up a jar of Golden absorbent ground and try it on my birch panels.  When the painting is finished, I should be able to seal it with an acrylic UV sealer - and frame it without glass.  You can also paint with watercolors on Golden's fiber paste - and since I have some of this, I am going to try it, too.  These other options are not like paper, but have their own kind flow - and I won't know if I like them until I try them.  I will probably try all the options eventually, but what I am looking for now is an easy option to take with me to plein air events that does not require glass and matting.  My load will become so much heavier if I have to add glass to the mix!  So, in the coming days, I will be exploring these new techniques - and see what appeals to me the most.  On this painting, I have pushed the colors in the sunlit sky and water, and left many whites untouched.  I like the clean flow of color and the way the color spread in the wet sky.  Watercolor is always an adventure!  Remember the 30 Day Painting Challenge that started my daily painting in January of 2013?  Well, there is another one starting today for September, and this is Day 1, and painting number 609 in as many days.

5 comments:

  1. I'm always excited to see watercolor in the 30 in 30! Beautiful colors in your sky and water. Happy challenge painting! Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful, love sailboats, love sunsets, sunrises

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. Really like that bit of clear green in the foreground. Have fun this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors and I enjoyed your informative post. Thanks for taking the time. I have the same goal of painting watercolor without having to use glass. I am now a follower

    ReplyDelete