Thursday, October 9, 2014

Long Forgotten

Long Forgotten
Oil on panel, 11x14

on location
Arriving in Fairfield, Illinois in the late afternoon, Marcia and I scouted out the town.  As we drove through the side streets, we passed down a narrow alley right next to this property. This wonderful old house must have been fabulous in it's glory days!  Vacant for many years, it now stands in ruins, one room completely open on the other side.  It still sits proud on it's prominent, large lot, as the trees and vines gently take over.  A complicated building, I started with a thorough sketch of the whole composition.  I knew how I wanted the house to sit on the page, so I first marked all edges - right side, top, and bottom line as it sloped away.  I then drew in the high gable, working my way through the lines until it was a true representation.  Next, I began the block in, by marking all darks first - windows, under porch, and dark side of short gable.  Next came the colors of the house, roofs, and finally the foliage and lawn with it's unkempt grass and fallen leaves.  I have never before painted a rundown house, so this was a real treat for me!  I have always loved them, each telling the stories of life within their walls.  This was "architecture" day of the Fairfield Paint Out, and painting number 648 in 648 days :)

3 comments:

  1. Such a shame that a house like this stands in ruins .... :-( But you made it come alive in your painting. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness-absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete