Saturday, October 25, 2014

Morning at Montebello Falls

on location
Morning at Montebello Falls
Oil on panel, 16x12
Now showing at Parkville Depot, MO
purchase here














For this vantage of the falls at Montebello, I had to set up in the tall grass up the hill and across the street from my subject.  This was the only little bit of shade when I started, so I got right to laying down paint.  The morning light reflected off the water and foliage, shimmering in the landscape.  Looking into the sun is always difficult, even though my hat shaded my eyes.  As you can see from the photo, the sun tends to wash out the detail of the subject while I'm looking at it, making my color choices a bit harder.  That is the Kansas City skyline in the distance on the left - so cool to be able to get that kind of depth in a landscape!  This painting is now showing at the historic Depot in Parkville through November 13, and is painting number 664 in as many days.

No comments:

Post a Comment