Monday, October 6, 2014

Pink Rose Melange

Pink Rose Melange
Watercolor, ink and hot wax on masa paper, 7.5x5.5
purchase here
As I sketched out this composition, I didn't really have any idea of where I wanted this painting to go. In a case like this, I let the colors emerge on their own - placing cool by warm, and just dropping in paint intuitively.  After the hot wax and cracking, I decided to drop the red into the cracks, instead of staying with a brown.  I like this effect!  It creates a cool energy in the painting - adding movement.  The masa paper is the thickest of the rice papers I have used.  When this paper is soaked with paint, I just lay it in the sun to dry before going further.  It almost feels like the paper is disintegrating when it is so wet!  It is a little difficult getting it to accept so much pigment.  Every batik painting is an experiment - and this one is the 645th in as many days.

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting texture to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Tammie. The masa paper is something I am not familiar with. It has such interesting texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this soooo much. Just gorgeous!! Really appealing piece!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful painting Tammie. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a piece of art evolves without us knowing which direction it's going.
    This is gorgeous!
    Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is lovely-great effects with the crackle and color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, and such lovely textures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I gasped as the picture came up on the screen. How beautiful. This fills my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is truly gorgeous. I love the texture

    ReplyDelete