Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pumpkin Batik

Pumpkin Batik
Ink, watercolor, hot wax on masa paper
purchase here
When I first started painting these watercolor batiks, I did not sketch my composition out first.  Then, I picked up my india ink pen, and started by loosely sketching before applying the watercolor.  Only slightly visible, it adds another dimension to the painting.  With the application of wet layers of color, this india ink lightens in spots - since I don't wait for it to fully dry before moving on to the next step.  The masa paper wrinkles up less than the thinner rice papers did, and the paper is a little thicker - creating a slightly different finish on the painting.  I like the "night"scenes on the masa - I think I'll do some more in this vein!  Painting number 653 in days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment