Sunday, October 19, 2014

Waterfall at the Nature Sanctuary

Waterfall at the Nature Sanctuary
Oil on panel, 12x16
Parkville in Art plein air event
First marks...
On location

























I have painted in the Parkville in Art plein air event for three years now, and I only just discovered this amazing waterfall!  It is located off of Kate's trail in the Nature Sanctuary in Parkville, Missouri.  Following the trail, turning left at the fork, I walked through the woods with my gear.  A ribbon of water followed along down an embankment to my right.  Twice, I almost stopped to paint that ribbon as it twisted through the trees.  I could hear the roar of the waters before I could see them, and as I made the last turn - they appeared before me!  Magical - and I set up on the spot quite close to the drop off.  So close, in fact, I could not back up to check my progress.  With such a complicated subject, I first marked off all the darks of the rocks and the lights of the water with pastel sticks.  Following with paint, I brushed the oils into these same locations and started to move toward the middle values.  I began this at 11:30, wanted the midday light to illuminate these waters which are otherwise in shadow.  So, I needed to work quickly while I had this light.  Finishing in two hours, the light had already changed so much that it was no use to work any further.  Such a peaceful and amazing place - and even though it is quite a walk back there - I will be back every year to paint these same falls - and probably the water as it winds through the woods!  Now showing at the Historic Depot in Parkville through November 13 in the Parkville in Art show.  Painting number 658 in as many days.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, it looks difficult to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful .... Love the sun shining through the trees...

    ReplyDelete