Friday, October 31, 2014

Witches Brew

Witches Brew
Watercolor batik on rice paper, 7.5x5.5
purchase here
Happy Halloween!  How's this for getting into the halloween spirit?  I have never done anything like this - well, not since I was a child, so why not branch out and have a little fun?  The watercolor batik technique is perfect for creating a vintage mood as these witches make their brew!  Unlike all the other batiks I've done, I painted the background first - getting the glow of the fiery sunset in.  I painted the sky with hot wax and then proceeded to drop color into the figures, cauldron, and land.  It was fun to let those paints just mingle together.  Did I mention that the only color I premix on the palette is orange?  This is painting number 671 in as many days :)

4 comments:

  1. wow Tammie, I love this fab piece. Hugs Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this piece! So you are not doing encaustic? Is it a special wax, special paper, or fabric? What kind of paint? Amazing looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great spooky batik effect, that orange glow looks wicked.

    ReplyDelete