Monday, November 3, 2014

Autumn Barns

Autumn Barns
Watercolor batik on masa, 8x5
Elmore, Ohio - purchase here
This farm is heading north out of Elmore, Ohio on highway 51.  We pass this farm every time we go to any of the hospitals.  In the past three years, I have driven by here many times when dad was hospitalized, and now, with my mom.  This farm is ever changing - with the light changes of each day to the various seasons.  My first time to paint it, I am capturing this landscape in it's autumn glory.  Once again using the watercolor batik method, I have first painted the scene in watercolor on masa paper.  Brushing hot wax over the finished painting, I then crumple the painting up in a tight ball - no kidding!  Flattening it out, I then float the brown/plum color into all creases and cracks and allow it to dry.  I then iron it between brown paper (or in this case, old newspapers) until no more wax bleeds into the paper.  What remains is this landscape painting with an antiqued appearance.  This landscape is painting number 674 in 674 days :)

9 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting, and a very interesting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous Tammie - not just today's but looking back. I love the technique. I'd like to know more. The texture is awesome. I am your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammie this is such an intriguing technique. I wonder if I am brave enough to try it sometime. Wonderful work.Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, you must have learned so much in 674 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous farm scene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice technique you used.Beautiful barn and landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting and it is so, so great that you paint everyday.
    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your painting and that crackling effect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is an interesting technique. And it takes courage to do it too I bet :-) Love the result!

    ReplyDelete