Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Gourds and Pumpkins


Gourds and Pumpkins
Watercolor batik on masa, 8x5
purchase here
Another day spent basking in the glory of the harvest!  I just love painting the rich colors of fall - and there is so much variety in the squash and gourds!  I have followed the same techniques as in the Harvest Basket, as I painted through the steps of these two at the same time.  When working on watercolor batiks, I almost always work on two, three or four at a time.  The main reason is that I like to start and finish with no down time.  In watercolor, I have to wait for the paint to dry between layers, so I simply move to the next painting instead of wasting my time just waiting.  I feel like I am unlocking the secrets of the masa paper with each painting I finish - the smallest little changes in method yield different results.  Experimenting really helps keep all things fresh - no chance if slipping into hum-drum when mixing it up daily!  Painting number 690 in as many days.

No comments:

Post a Comment