Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sleeping Kitten

Sleeping Kitten
Graphite on bristol, 6.5x10
purchase here
Yesterday,  I mentioned how I thought smooth bristol paper was not worthy of graphite - or medium I have yet found.  Today, I found myself out of bristol vellum - and I had to use the smooth finish bristol.  Well, it worked out all right.  I like the texture of the vellum, as it lends a bit of tooth and interest to the paper itself.  There is no texture to the smooth, so the strokes carry the weight of all interest.  While the vellum is my favorite still, this smooth bristol will do in a pinch.  I have used three pencils on this rendering - 8B watersoluable, mechanical, and Derwent black inktense pencil (also watersoluable).  Most of the work is done with my trusty 8B - which is super soft for those of you who don't know this.  I pull out the mechanical when I want superfine lines - like the whiskers or fine hair detail.  The mechanical pencil is harder, and therefore grayer in shade.  The black inktense pencil is a special jewel which I bring out only where I want the blackest black.  I can deepen that black with a damp brush, but this is an ink pencil, so once it is dampened, it becomes ink that can not be removed.  As with all drawing, I reserve the whites, only using a pink eraser sparingly - if at all.  Once finished, I squint to make sure the masses all make sense, and the flow of the work is harmonious.  It is so easy to get caught up in the lines and lose track of the big picture.  This kitten piece is my 696th in 696 days.

1 comment:

  1. This is precious. Wonderful drawing!

    I've seen the ink pencils, though have not yet used one ... I may have to pick one up and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete