Monday, December 15, 2014

Feeding Blitzen - miniature

Feeding Blitzen
Oil on canvas, 4x4
purchase here
I am planning on painting 12 different Santas for the Twelve Days of Christmas - and this is number 3!  Here, Old Saint Nick is feeding his beloved Blitzen.  Although I prefer the predictable surface of the wood panel, I am getting accustomed to the woven canvas.  I first prime them with a little gesso, acrylic paint to tint, combined with some water-based sealer.  Once this layer is dry, I can start the sketch, filling in with the oils.  For these minis, I have chosen an unusual tint - warm, bold yellow!  Wanting a color that all others would "pop" against led me to this choice.  I like it!  It is a crazy choice, but I think it gives the whole painting a warm glow where it peaks through the other layers.  This reindeer was particularly fun to paint!  Love laying on that thick fur! Painting number 716 in 716 days - and Christmas is just around the corner!  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment